Posts Tagged ‘justice burke’
7 out of 7 Illinois Supreme Court Justices agree that Rahm Emmanuel is in fact a resident of Chicago.
The Illinois Supreme Court ruled today that Rahm Emanuel can stay on the ballot for mayor of Chicago, saying in a unanimous decision that he meets the state’s residency requirements despite spending most of the last year as White House chief of staff.
“The voters deserved the right to make the choice of who should be mayor. And what the Supreme Court said basically, in short, that the voters should make the decicions of who will be mayor,” a victorious Emanuel said after slapping backs and shaking hands with commuters at the Clark and Lake elevated train stop near his downtown headquarters.
“The nice part was to be able to tell the news to voters, because a lot of people had not heard it,” Emanuel said.
The court essentially took the position of the Appellate minority, and by that I mean their position is that the Appellate majority are a bunch of political hacks who wouldn’t know established jurisprudence if it jumped up and bit them square on the ass. Allahpundit at Hot Air points out:
So harsh is it, in fact, that two justices wrote a separate concurrence criticizing the court for being unduly vicious towards the appellate court. (“[T]he tone taken by the majority today is unfortunate…”)
Surprise surprise, one of the two dissenting concurrences came from Ms. “I Think For Myself and Don’t Care That My Husband Rules the Chicago City Council With an Iron Fist” Justice Burke. Can’t imagine she likes seeing them get this kind of lashing when all they did was what her husband ordered them to.
- Rahm Prevails In Court (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules 7-0 in Favor of Rahm Emanuel Candidacy for Chicago Mayor (towleroad.com)
- Illinois Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel back on ballot (alternet.org)
- Rahm Emanuel’s House successor to endorse him (thehill.com)
- Ill. high court: Emanuel can run for Chicago mayor (msnbc.msn.com)
- Rahm Emanuel Back on Chicago Ballot… for Now (elections.firedoglake.com)
- Appellate court tosses Rahm Emanuel off ballot (dailykos.com)
- Rahm Back on the Ballot (politicalwire.com)
- Rahm’s On the Motherf***ing Ballot! (chicagonow.com)